LONG BEACH, Calif. (April 21, 2013)
- Race Report
- Oriol Servia finished 6th in the 2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long
Beach in the No. 22 Charter Panther DRR Chevrolet.
- During Saturday's qualifications, Servia made contact with the
tire barrier avoiding the No. 9 car of Scott Dixon's which had
stopped in the middle of the track after a spin. INDYCAR
officials initially penalized Servia his fastest lap for
causing a yellow flag; however, that penalty was
later rescinded. His lap time was given back, allowing
him to start the race in the 18th position.
- Servia had advanced to the 16th position before his first pit
stop on Lap 26. Changes to the car included two turns of front wing
and a switch to Firestone Firehawk alternate (red-sidewall)
- Several cars pitted under the next caution, advancing Servia to
13th. Skillful driving helped him avoid an incident in Turn 1 of
the Lap 34 restart which moved him to up to 8th.
- On the Lap 38 restart, Servia made contact with the slowing car
of Simon Pagenaud, breaking several pieces on the front wing.
Servia's lap times remained consistent and the team made the
decision not to change the nose.
- After another pit stop on Lap 51 during a full course caution,
Servia advanced to 6th position. The crew added two turns to the
left side of the broken front wing to balance the understeer.
- Pagenaud passed Servia on the Lap 55 restart, but Servia passed
him back on Lap 56 to regain 6th.
- Servia was catching the No. 11 car of Tony Kanaan by .7 seconds
per lap in the closing laps. He caught up to him in Turn 1 on Lap
78. Servia was on the inside of Kanaan and the two made contact.
Servia continued but was passed by JR Hildebrand.
- Servia took the checkered flag in 6th place but was issued a 30
second penalty after the race for what was deemed avoidable contact
with Kanaan. After further review, the penalty was
later rescinded the 6th place finish stands.
- The 2013 Toyota Grand Prix of Long Beach featured 80 laps
around the 1.96-mile, 12-turn street circuit in the streets of Long
- Panther DRR will return to the track May 4-5 for the Sao Paulo
Indy 300 in Brazil.
ORIOL SERVIA, NO. 22 CHARTER PANTHER DRR CHEVROLET,
On the race: "I had the best car probably of the
whole season in the race. It was awesome. On one restart, I don't
know what happened to Simon [Pagenaud] but he slowed down in the
straight and I broke the front wing. Even with that we were one of
the fastest cars on track. I was saving fuel but I was flying. I
was so happy!"
On the incident with Tony Kanaan: "With two laps
to go, I had a run on Tony [Kanaan]. I was on the push to pass, I
don't think he saw me coming. I got on his inside and he closed the
door. I was there - I cannot disappear! It was one of those deals
where you both want the same space in the corner so you crash. I'm
angry with him, he's angry with me. That's what happens in